Coast is Clean!
The City of Isle of Palms boasts seven miles of wide, pristine beaches great for swimming, lounging, fishing, biking and kayaking. The City of Isle of Palms has been a destination for beach goers for generations.
The City's Front Beach commercial district is located on Ocean Boulevard from 10th Avenue to 14th Avenue. This area offers public restrooms, plenty of public parking, and great restaurants and shops.
Help us keep our beach clean, safe and beautiful!
The City wants to remind residents and visitors about important regulations intended to protect our beautiful beach and promote a healthy environment for all to enjoy.
- No single-use plastics or styrofoam products.
- No smoking on the beach or beach access paths
- No alcoholic beverages, glass containers, fires or fireworks
- Fill in holes before you leave, as they could be a hazard for sea turtles and humans
Frequently Asked Questions
- What plastic items am I NOT allowed to bring and use on the Isle of Palms beach?
To maintain a pristine environment and protect wildlife that live along or in the ocean, the following items are prohibited on the Isle of Palms beach:
- Single-use plastic bags
- Plastic straws and stirrers
- Any polystyrene/plastic foam products (also called Styrofoam) such as coolers, ice chests, cups, bowls, plates and clamshells
*Businesses on the Isle of Palms are also prohibited from distributing these items at point of sale.
- What are the penalties for not complying with the plastics ban ordinance?
A verbal warning may be issued, however, citizens that don’t comply may be issued a $100 fine per offense.
- Who enforces the plastics ban ordinance?
The Isle of Palms Police Department is responsible for enforcing these regulations.
- Where is smoking prohibited?
To reduce the overwhelming amount of pollution caused by smoking on our beach, smoking is prohibited on the beach and beach access paths. Smoking is also prohibited in enclosed areas of work.
- Where is smoking allowed?
Smoking is permitted in private residences, private property, such as a vehicle, and the public right-of-way.
- Is vaping (smokeless tobacco) also prohibited on the beach and beach access paths?
Yes. The ordinance describes smoking as “the inhaling, exhaling, burning, lighting, or carrying of a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, or similar device” and includes a definition of smoking materials as “cigars, cigarettes, and all other manner of smoking devices intended to be used for the purpose of inhaling and exhaling smoke.”
- What are the penalties associated with each ordinance?
For smoking in an area where smoking is prohibited, citizens may be issued a fine between $10 and $25.
- Who enforces the smoking ban ordinance?
The City of Isle of Palms Police Department is responsible for enforcing these regulations.
- Will smoking materials be sold on the Isle of Palms?
Yes. The ban covers smoking in workplaces, on the beach, and on beach access paths. It does not prohibit the sale of smoking materials within city limits.
- Is there a difference between the smoking ban on the Isle of Palms and the ban on Sullivan’s Island and Folly Beach ?
Yes. The Sullivan’s Island and Folly Beach smoking ordinance bans smoking on the beach, beach access paths and all public spaces. The Isle of Palms bans smoking in workplaces, on the beach, and beach access paths.
- Where can I get more information about these new regulations and who can I contact if I have additional questions?
Residents and visitors may contact the Isle of Palms Police Department by calling the non-emergency number at (843) 886-6522 or City Hall at (843) 886-6428.
How can I get Involved?
1. Join the Isle of Palms Beach Cleanup Crew, a local group that gets together one day a week during the summer to sweep the beach and socialize!
2. Participate in the Adopt-A-Beach program and contribute to the preservation of our coastal environment.