Board of Zoning Appeals
The Board shall consist of five (5) citizens of the City, each to be appointed by a majority of council. The term of office of each members shall be for three (3) years, and until a successor is appointed and qualified. Terms of members shall be staggered. All terms shall begin on January 1. The appointments for each year will be announced by the Mayor at a special City Council meeting, to be held on the first Tuesday of January.
Meetings of the Board shall be held upon the call of the Chairman or at such other times as the Board may determine. The zoning administrator and the secretary of the Board shall attend all meetings and the secretary shall keep a record of its proceedings, showing the vote of each member upon each question or, if absent or failing to vote, indicating such fact.
The Board of Zoning Appeals has three specific powers, duties, and responsibilities as set forth by the South Carolina 1994 Comprehensive Planning Act:
1. To hear and decide appeals for variances from the requirements of the zoning ordinance when strict application of the provisions of the ordinance would result in unnecessary hardship. There are four tests of hardship established by the state. All four must be met. It is incumbent upon the applicant to demonstrate the hardships.
2. To permit uses by Special Exception when designated within the zoning code.
3. To hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in an order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of the zoning ordinance.
- Brian Abel - Term Expires 12/31/2023
- Ted McKnight - Term Expires 12/31/2022
- Arnold Karig - Term Expires 12/31/2021
- Elizabeth Campsen - Term Expires 12/31/2022
- Glenn Thornburg - Term Expires 12/31/2021
- Douglas Kerr - Director of Building, Planning and Zoning
Latest Meeting Video