Residential New Construction
The review of any permit application may take ten (10) working days. The following will need to be submitted for review:
- Two (2) sets of construction drawings, stamped by architect or engineer.
- Survey site plan- scaled drawings showing footprint of structure with distances to property lines; any and all trees (above 8' diameter breast height) size and species.
- Septic tank permit- Obtained from SC Department of Heath and Environmental Control (843-202-7020). This permit may be submitted during the review process. It is advisable to submit to the city and Wild Dunes at the same time, since their review may also take some time.
The following items will need to be submitted for review:
- Survey site plan- Scaled drawing showing the existing structure, and proposed addition with the distances to the property lines. If the structure is on septic tank, the drawing should include the location of the tank on the property.
- Two (2) sets of construction drawings, stamped by an architect or engineer.
- A signed contract between the owner and the contractor, and a Wild Dunes permit if applicable.
Alterations & Renovations
Typically alterations and renovations are done within the existing footprint of the structure therefore would not require a site plan. However, construction drawings are required and must show what is existing and what is proposed. A signed contract between the owner and the contractor and a Wild Dunes permit if applicable.
Miscellaneous Repairs, Painting, Etc.
A complete listing of all work to be performed on structure. Complete list showing materials and labor costs. A signed contract between the owner and contractor along with a Wild Dunes permit if applicable.
Swimming Pools and Accessory Structures
- Survey site plan- Scaled drawings showing the existing structures on the property and the proposed pool or accessory structure with the distance to the property lines.
- Swimming pools: The decking and fence will need to be shown.
- Two (2) sets of construction drawings.
- In addition for a swimming pool, the drawings must contain detailed information on the alarm system for the exterior doors leading to the pool and the type fencing to be installed. The contract needs to list the contractors that will be installing these items.
Building Permit Fees
Base building permit fee $50.00 plus $5.00 per $1,000 or fraction there of total project value.
Plan Submittal Fee
When construction drawings are submitted to be reviewed for a building permit a plan submittal fee will be charged. The fee is one-half of the permit fee, in addition to the permit fee.
Demolition and Moving
The demolition of any structure will require a permit. The fee charged is $50.00.
A permit is required for moving any structure. The fee charged is $100.00.
- Building/Zoning Permit Application
- Electrical Permit Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
Construction Work Hours
The City's Noise Ordinance limits the operation of piledrivers, steam shovels, pneumatic hammers, derricks, steam or electric hoists or any other equipment that creates loud or disturbing noises between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Saturday. No construction work will be allowed on Sundays and legal holidays. These regulations do not limit a property owner's ability to perform maintenance and repairs on their own property at any time.
If you have questions please feel free to contact the Building Department at 843-886-9912.