Environmental Advisory Committee
First meeting: 4:00 p.m., October 14, 2021. Agenda & Meeting Packet
Purpose of the Environmental Advisory Committee :
City Council formed the Environmental Advisory Committee to advise City Council on matters of environmental impact, protections, conservation and sustainability by exploring innovations, best practices & data around changes.
The Environmental Advisory Committee may address matters as requested by City Council and its committees, and on its own accord take up issues and initiatives that fit within its mission, with regular reporting to the council.
Goals of the Environmental Advisory Committee:
- Protect the environment, endangered species and natural resources.
- Reduce litter and pollution.
- Pursue energy conservation.
- Develop environmental messaging and branding to promote best practices.
- Support Isle of Palms as a strong environmental leader in South Carolina and model for other coastal communities.
- Develop and support partnerships with related community groups and stakeholders.
- Membership is open without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital status, family status, veteran status, or membership in any other group protected by law in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Applicants shall demonstrate an ability to understand complex issues and respect the diversity of interests of community members.
- Applicants shall demonstrate and encourage flexibility when considering perspectives of non-participating citizens and interest groups.
- Candidates will be selected by the Personnel Committee based on ensuring that it is representative of a diversity of community members.
- Applicants must be available to meet every other month or as needed. Meetings may generally last one hour.
- The board would consist of nine (9) adult citizens, one of which would be a City Council liaison, one (1) college student, and one (1) high school student.
- Members shall serve 3 year terms. Students will serve a one (1) year term.
- Members shall be chosen by the Personnel Committee at a public meeting.
- All members shall serve without compensation.
- Failure of any member to attend three consecutive meetings; misconduct; or nonperformance of duty, may be cause for removal from the advisory board by the Council.
- The advisory board shall have no authority to make any expenditures on behalf of the City or to obligate the City for payments of sums of money, without prior Council approval.
- All meetings will conform to legal requirements for public meetings, including public notice and record-keeping.
|Sandra Brotherton||3 year term. Expires 12/31/2024|
|Deb Faires||2 year term. Expires 12/31/2023|
|Doug Hatler||3 year term. Expires 12/31/2024|
|Grace Jurgela||1 year term. Expires 12/31/2022|
|Jonathan Knoche||2 year term. Expires 12/31/2023|
|Molly Marino||1 year term. Expires 12/31/2022|
|Belvin Olasov||3 year term. Expires 12/31/2024|
|Linda Plunkett||2 year term. Expires 12/31/2023|
|Mary Pringle||3 year term. Expires 12/31/2024|
|Councilmember Susan Smith||Council Liaison until 12/31/2021|