Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. The Isle of Palms is vulnerable to hurricane activity. Whenever a hurricane threatens our coast, you may plan to leave voluntarily or may be ordered to do so.
If and when an evacuation is ordered, the following actions will be taken:
- Police will block island access at the Breach Inlet Bridge and IOP Connector to all except emergency and official vehicles. Emergency and official vehicles do not include private vehicles.
- If the environment is safe and personnel are available, the Fire and Police Departments will go door-to-door to advise citizens of the evacuation.
- Radio, television and the City's website will carry the evacuation order.
- Residents and guests who wait for an evacuation order will be directed to the nearest available public storm shelter.
- The Municipal Emergency Operations Center will be located at the Public Safety Building at 30 J.C. Long Boulevard as long as it is deemed prudent. In the event of an evacuation, the MEOC will relocate to Charleston County Satellite Complex on Iron Bridge Road in Mount Pleasant.
- The Isle of Palms Fire and Police Department personnel will remain on the island until they must evacuate for safety. Once they evacuate, there will be no fire, police or emergency medical assistance on the island.
Information about evacuation routes is available on the following web pages: