Fire Chief Hiring Process
Fire Chief Graham retired from the Isle of Palms Fire Department on December 31, 2020 after 35 years of service to our community. Her leadership and contributions to the Isle of Palms community have been valuable beyond estimation and the City wishes her the best in this new chapter of her life.
- Initial Application - After her retirement announcement, the City began the hiring process for a new Fire Chief in late October by announcing the opening on the City's website and in multiple fire protection industry and local government organizations. The City received 77 applications from around the country.
- Qualification Screening - The City Administrator and Chief Graham evaluated the applications and resumes by reviewing the candidate's training, education, skill set, and experience. As part of the hiring process, all candidates were also asked to complete an objective pre-employment assessment that measures the cognitive ability and problem-solving aptitude of prospective employees.
- Phone Screening - The City Administrator conducted phone interviews with candidates who met minimum qualifications from the qualification screening.
- First-round Interviews - 10 candidates were selected for the first round of interviews conducted on January 8, 11 and 12, 2021 by the Personnel and Public Safety Committees.
- Second-round Interviews - The Personnel and Public Safety Committee met on Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 3:30 p. m. to discuss next steps in the hiring process. The Committees will conduct a second round of interviews in the next several weeks.