Tropical Storm Isaias Updates
Updated: 2:00 p.m., August 3, 2020
The City of Isle of Palms is monitoring the development of Tropical Storm Isaias and preparing for potential impacts to our area.
- Tropical storm Isaias is located 130 miles south of Charleston with 65 mph winds and moving north northwest 13 mph.
- Charleston County is under a tropical storm, storm surge and flash flood warning.
- The storm will be closest to Charleston County and the coast on Monday, August 3, 2020 afternoon and evening.
- Tropical storm winds and conditions expected to impact starting Monday, August 3, 2020 afternoon and continue overnight.
- Peak winds of 45-55 mph and gusts of 70 mph are expected on the coast Monday, August 3, 2020 evening.
- The City should anticipate power outages and downed trees.
- Heavy rainfall, up to 6 inches of rain, will coincide with Monday, August 3, 2020, evening’s high tide of 8.0 feet. at 8:59 p.m.
- There is the possibility of storm surge along the coast of approximately 2-4 feet.
- Charleston County will not activate shelter operations, Emergency Operations Center, or the Citizen’s Information line.
- Charleston County recycling collection will be delayed one day this week.
- City of Isle of Palms garbage collection schedule will continue normal operations on Monday, August 3, 2020 and Tuesday, August 4, 2020.
- City Hall and the Recreation Center closed at noon on August 3, 2020 and will resume operations at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, August 4, 2020.
- Citizens should avoid unnecessary travel due to possible localized flooding caused by potential heavy rainfall.
- Please remove any items around your home that could cause damage due to the potential for strong wind gusts.
- Please follow directions on traffic and message boards for road closure information and remind the public, “Turn around, Don’t drown.”
- In the event of possible flooding, citizens are asked not to drive around barricades or drive through standing water.
Important phone numbers:
- For Police and Fire emergencies, please call 911.
- Police non-emergency: 843-886-6522.
- Isle of Palms Water and Sewer Commission: 843-886-6148.
- Dominion Energy Customer Service: 1-800-251-7234
- Downed/Sparking Lines: 1-888-333-4465
- Gas Leaks: 1-800-815-0083
- Power Outages: 1-888-333-4465
Please monitor the National Hurricane Center for the latest weather updates.
Additional hurricane preparedness information and resources from the city are available here.