City Council Meeting Highlights - June 28, 2022
June 29, 2022
The Isle of Palms City Council held its regular meeting on Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at Council Chambers in City Hall. Listed below are the highlights from the meeting:
- City Council approved vehicle purchases for the Police and Fire Department included in the adopted FY23 budget.
- City Council unanimously approved a proposal from Applied Technology Management (ATM) for the design, engineering and permitting of the planned renovation of the IOP Marina Public Dock, and engineering for the improvements to the “T” dock along the Intracoastal Waterway.
- City Council unanimously approved a proposal from Thomas & Hutton for additional design, engineering of permitting for the drainage improvements at the 41st Avenue outfall to extend the piping of the ditch towards the outfall to create additional parking for the IOP Marina.
- City Council approved a recommendation from the Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee to grant $10,000 to the IOP Chamber of Commerce for the development of a social media account to promote tourism on the island.
- City Council appointed Rebecca Kovalich and Gloria Clarke to the Accommodations Tax Advisory Committee to fill the lodging and hospitality vacancies.
TEMPORARY SUSPENSION OF ENFORCEMENT OF PLASTIC BAN FOR BUSINESSES
City Council ratified an extension of the suspension of enforcement of the single-use plastics and Styrofoam ban. City Council hopes that this temporary suspension will help mitigate some of the hardships that businesses are facing due to the worldwide supply chain issues. Isle of Palms businesses will be able to provide disposable food service ware or polystyrene/plastic foam products until September 1, 2022. Single use plastic bags will continue to be prohibited from distribution.
REASSIGNMENT OF MARINA LEASES TO MORGAN CREEK MARINA, LLC
City Council approved First Reading of two ordinances that amend and consent to the assignment of the Marina Outpost, LLC (marina store) lease and Marina Joint Ventures, Inc. (marina operations) lease to Morgan Creek Marina, LLC, same ownership group that owns Bohicket, Old Village Yacht Club, St. Johns Yacht Harbor and Seabreeze marinas. The amendments include the express allowance of consumption of beer and wine in the leased premises, including the back deck of the marina store, provides free launching for IOP residents, releases control of the shared parking area to the City to offer more free parking to residents, guarantees no less than 12 dry boat storage spaces to be reserved to IOP residents and allow the limited operation of a boat club. The amendment and consent documents are available on the City’s website.
A public meeting will be held on Monday, July 11, 2022 at 5:30 p.m. at the Rec Center for residents to meet the new potential operator and ask questions.
REFERENDUM TO REDUCE THE SIZE OF COUNCIL
City Council approved First Reading of an ordinance to present a referendum question to the citizens of Isle of Palms concerning their preference on whether to reduce the size of Council from a Mayor and eight (8) Council Members to a Mayor and (6) Council Members. The referendum question would be placed on the ballot for the next general election to be held on November 8, 2022.