City Establishes Environmental Advisory Committee, Seeks Applications
On May 25, 2021, City Council voted to establish the Environmental Advisory Committee. The Committee's primary focus is to advise City Council on matters of environmental impact, protections, conservation and sustainability by exploring innovations, best practices & data around changes.
The Environmental Advisory Committee may address matters as requested by City Council and its committees, and on its own accord take up issues and initiatives that fit within its mission, with regular reporting to the council.
Goals of the Environmental Advisory Committee:
- Protect the environment, endangered species and natural resources.
- Reduce litter and pollution.
- Pursue energy conservation.
- Develop environmental messaging and branding to promote best practices.
- Support Isle of Palms as a strong environmental leader in South Carolina and model for other coastal communities.
- Develop and support partnerships with related community groups and stakeholders.
Residents of the Isle of Palms are invited to apply to be a member of the Environmental Advisory Committee. The City is looking to fill nine (9) appointments. The initial terms will either be two or three years, with subsequent terms being three years. The online application is available here. The deadline to submit an application is 5:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 30, 2021.
- Membership is open without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital status, family status, veteran status, or membership in any other group protected by law in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Applicants shall demonstrate an ability to understand complex issues and respect the diversity of interests of community members.
- Applicants shall demonstrate and encourage flexibility when considering perspectives of non-participating citizens and interest groups.
- Candidates will be selected by the Personnel Committee based on ensuring that it is representative of a diversity of community members.
- Applicants must be available to meet every other month or as needed. Meetings may generally last one hour.
For questions on serving on the Environmental Advisory Committee, please contact Desirée Fragoso at 843-886-6482 or email@example.com .