City Council Highlights - November 15, 2022
November 16, 2022
The Isle of Palms City Council held its regular meeting on Tuesday, November 15, 2022, at Council Chambers in City Hall. Listed below are the highlights from the meeting:
- City Council approved a one-time cost of living adjustment of $5,000 and an ongoing 2.5% cost of living increase for City employees. The one-time adjustment will be effective this month and the 2.5% will go into effect on January 1, 2023.
- City Council instructed staff to prepare an ordinance to effectuate a 6-month moratorium of new short-term rental licenses. City Council will consider first reading of a moratorium ordinance at a special meeting on Tuesday, December 6, 2022.
- City Council approved a contract to Lowcountry Custom Construction in the amount of $17,392 for repairs to the brick intersections on Ocean Boulevard at Front Beach.
- The Real Property Committee updated City Council on ongoing discussions with the marina restaurant on various parking layout options for the Intracoastal side of the marina to eliminate shared parking area and establish a city parking lot and greenspace area and consolidate and expand the restaurant parking lot. The Real Property Committee will evaluate the recent parking iterations developed by the engineer at a subsequent meeting and make a recommendation to City Council on a final layout for consideration.
- City Council discussed the current workshop/committee structure and potential changes for 2023. City Council decided to try a hybrid approach that includes workshops along with three (3) standing committees that would meet only as needed or when assigned a specific task by City Council. The three (3) standing committee would be as follows:
- Administration - matters relating to oversight of City administration and personnel management functions – personnel; licensing; city attorney; municipal court; solicitations for Boards and Commissions; administrative infrastructure; communication and community outreach
- Public Safety - matters relating to the police and fire operations, transportation, emergency management, code compliance
Public Facilities and Services –matters relating to construction, maintenance and improvements of streets, beach and beach access paths and city-owned property; sanitation services including trash and debris; stormwater management; and environmental, energy and resource conservation programs and recreational facilities and activities.
- City Council acknowledged a petition received for the preservation of public and private recreation facilities and to cap the density in the Wild Dunes PRD to reflect the current existing units and approved lots.
City Council approved Second Reading of the following ordinances:
Ordinance 2022-08- AN ORDINANCE AMENDING TITLE 5, PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, CHAPTER 4, ZONING, ARTICLE 2, DISTRICT REGULATIONS, OF THE CITY OF ISLE OF PALMS CODE OF ORDINANCES TO PROVIDE FOR A NEW CONSERVATION-RECREATION DISTRICT.
Ordinance 2022-09 - AN ORDINANCE ADOPTING AMENDMENTS TO THEOFFICIAL ZONING MAP OF THE CITY OF ISLE OF PALMS TO PROVIDE FOR A NEW CONSERVATION-RECREATION (CR) ZONING DISTRICT AND TO REZONE CERTAIN PROPERTIES FROM THE SR-1 AND PDD DISTRICTS TO THE NEW CR ZONING DISTRICT AS SHOWN ON EXHIBIT I.
Ordinance 2022-10 - AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE OFFICIAL ZONING MAP OF THE CITY OF ISLE PALMS TO REZONE CERTAIN PROPERTIES FROM THE SR-1 SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENTIAL ZONING DISTRICT AND PDD PLANNED DEVELOPMENT ZONING DISTRICT TO THE CR CONSERVATION-RECREATION ZONING DISTRICT, INCLUDING THE 12 PROPERTIES DESIGNATED AS TMS# 571-00-00-001, TMS# 604-01-00-001, TMS# 604-01-00-059, TMS# 571-08-00-226, TMS# 604-00-00-032, TMS# 604- 00-00-033, TMS# 604-00-00-034, TMS# 604-00-00-035, TMS# 604-00-00-036, TMS# 604-05-00-185, AND TMS# 604-10-00-206, TMS#604-02-00-053 AS SHOWN ON THE PLATS ATTACHED AS EXHIBIT I.
Ordinance 2022-11 - AN ORDINANCE AMENDING TITLE 5, PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT, CHAPTER 4, ZONING, ARTICLE 2, DISTRICT REGULATIONS, SECTION 5-4-39, PDD PLANNED DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT, OF THE CITY OF ISLE OF PALMS CODE OF ORDINANCES TO PROVIDE CLARIFICATION BY CORRECTING SCRIVENER’S ERRORS AND DELETING PROVISIONS RELATED TO THE WILD DUNES PRD.
Ordinance 2022-12 - AN ORDINANCE AMENDING THE CITY OF ISLE OF PALMS ZONING ORDINANCE BY AMENDING CERTAIN PROVISIONS OF THE ORIGINAL BEACH AND RACQUET CLUB PRD (ALSO KNOWN AS THE WILD DUNES PRD) TO EXCLUDE CERTAIN PROPERTIES FROM THE PRD DISTRICT, TO REDUCE THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF DWELLING UNITS PERMITTED IN THE PRD DISTRICT FROM 2,449 UNITS TO 2,119 UNITS, AND TO REDUCE THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF INN UNITS PERMITTED IN THE PRD DISTRICT FROM 350 UNITS TO 297 UNITS.